Spring City Public School, 1899
| |

  45 South 100 East This Victorian eclectic school, noted for its fine polychrome brick masonry, was built in 1899. It was designed by Provo architect Richard C. Watkins who, several years later, provided the design for the town’s LDS … Read More

Spring City Junior High School, 1916 150 E. Center
| |

Located east of the Old Public School this building served as the Junior High, then the elementary school from 1957 until a new elementary school was built in 1986. It was then purchased by Spring City Corporation for city offices. … Read More

Wiley Payne Allred House, c. 1878/86 413 South 100 East
| |

Although somewhat altered this house was built by Wiley Payne Allred, son of James. Wiley was a pioneer doctor who later moved to Fountain Green. The original stone section was built between 1878 and 1886 with a later addition constructed … Read More

Bishop’s Storehouse, 1905 95 East Center
| |

In 1905 the Sanpete Valley received five new Bishop’s storehouses built from a standard plan: Fountain Green, Manti, Fairview, Ephraim and Spring City. These buildings were constructed to receive tithing, store ward records, and to hold meetings. This storehouse was … Read More

Freeman Allred House, 1912 121 East Center
| |

This one and one half story brick pattern book house is the only early house in Spring City to be placed diagonally upon the lot. The gables and dormers contain decorative wooden shingle patterns. It was built in 1912 for … Read More

Andersen-Madsen House, c. 1882 325 East Center
| |

  This one and one half story brick house was built about 1880 by Jens C. Andersen, a Dane. The main portion of the house contains a second story door above a small porch and is built with multi-colored brick. … Read More

James C. & Martha Pedersen House, c. 1910 74 North 300 East
| |

The “Jimmy King” Pedersen house is a one and one half story, brick Victorian pattern book design and one of the most elaborate in Spring City. Pedersen was successful in the sheep business and his wealth can be seen in … Read More

Lars & Petrea (Monson) Larsen House, c. 1883 85 North 100 East
| |

This large stone house, built by Peter Monson, is a distinctively Scandinavian type known as a “parstuga” or pair house consisting of a three-room-wide floor plan. In this example the east façade contains is a central gable above the second … Read More

Jens Petersen House, c. 1874 147 North 100 East
| |

Jens Petersen, a weaver from Denmark, built the front two rooms of this one story stone house in 1874. By 1882 the house was owned by Orson Allred and in 1935 it was sold to Vera Downard Sorensen. A fire … Read More

Henning Edward Hansen House, c. 1894 288 North 200 East
| |

The wood frame, cross-wing house was built about 1894 by H. E. Hansen. Hansen, the son of a 1859 pioneer, was a farmer, city councilman, city watermaster, and director of the Horseshoe Irrigation Company. He is the brother of N. … Read More

Olsen-Jensen House, c. 1870 269 East 300 North
| |

While the exact date of construction and who built this building is uncertain, it does not diminish its significance. Andrew N. Olsen probably built the log portion in the late 1870s with Mathias Jensen adding the adobe portion after 1881. … Read More

Jens Severine Jensen House, c. 1879 276 North 300 East
| |

Jens Severine Jensen built this one and one half story house, adobe hall-parlor house in the 1870s. The house was originally stuccoed and painted with bright red lines imitating brick, but is now covered with siding. There is milled spindle … Read More

Mette C. Christoffersen House, c. 1881 191 North 300 East
| |

Built about 1881 by the Christoffersens, this one story adobe house was stuccoed and painted to imitate red brick as late as 1950. The roofing system is a heavy timber technique with axe-hewn rafters that is rarely found in Sanpete … Read More

N. Peter & Olena Olsen Hansen House, c. 1874 192 North 200 East
| |

This one and one half story brick house was constructed by Neils Peter Hansen in the mid 1870s and owned by him and his wife, Olena, until 1890. It is a hall-parlor plan with a rear addition. Hansen, an immigrant … Read More

Peter & Anna Mickel House, 1901 389 North 100 East
| |

This small brick pattern book, cross-wing house, with its’ spindled porch work was erected for Peter P. and Anna Allred Mickel in 1901. Anna Mickel was a local Sunday school teacher and City Registrar. In 1903 the house was sold … Read More

Peter & Kristina Rasmussen House, c. 1878 378 North 100 East
| |

Peter Rasmussen bought this lot from his father, Christian, in 1878 for $14 and erected this one and one half story stone house for his wife Kristina Larsen and their son Peter. It is a traditional hall-parlor plan with a … Read More

Hansen-Jensen House, c. 1892 385 East 500 North
| |

This brick pattern book house was most likely built by Jens Hansen and later sold to Hyrum Jensen, Spring City Major and local farmer. “Hy” made an addition to the house as his family grew. In the 1930s the house … Read More

Iver & Maria Christensen House, c. 1908 323 East 500 North
| |

Iver Christensen built this one and one half story house about 1908. He was born in Castle Dale, Emery County and married Maria Sandstrom in 1901. The house is a single cell building with a rear lean-to addition. It has … Read More

Marinus Petersen House, c. 1878 285 East 500 North
| |

Marinus Petersen, a Danish immigrant convert to the LDS Church, built this rock house and barn for his family in the mid-1870s. The hall-parlor, one and one half story house has a symmetrical façade pierced by three openings. In 1924 … Read More

Andrew & Sena Munk Thompsen House, c. 1886 488 North 200 East
| |

This one story adobe, hall-parlor house with rear addition was built after 1886 for Andrew & Sena Munk Jensen Thompsen who emigrated from Denmark. Andrew’s nickname was “Fishman” because he would travel to Utah Lake, to fish and return to … Read More

Anders C. & Mette K Christensen House, c. 1875 115 East 500 North
| |

This house was originally a one story asymmetrical adobe, hall-parlor house with a porch extending across the front façade. A real “L” was added to the north. The house was purchased by the Hope family in the 1940s and they … Read More

Lorenzo Aiken Service Station, 1924 & House, c. 1908 488 North Main
| |

Lorenzo Wilson Aiken, a sheep shearer, and his wife, Mary Jane Nielson Aiken built this corner service station, the 1st one in town, in 1924. Mary Jane and their small children ran the station from 1928-29 to keep Lorenzo on … Read More

Peter Justesen House, c. 1887 85 West 400 North
| |

This one and one half story stone house was constructed by Justesen after 1885. It was probably his second house in Spring City as he also built the house at . The house was built with one room and a … Read More

Iver Peter Petersen House, c. 1875 309 North Main
| |

Petersen, a Danish immigrant, built this stone, hall-parlor plan house in the mid 1870s. A rear adobe addition was constructed shortly thereafter. He died at a young age leaving a widow with several young children. A stone granary behind the … Read More

Petersen-Nielsen House, c. 1880 15 East 200 North
| |

This adobe, cross-wing house is covered with scored stucco simulating stone and contains patterned gable shingling and elaborate porch posts. It was originally built by Ole Petersen and sold to Hans Nielsen in 1882. Petersen served as mayor and built … Read More

John R. Baxter, Sr. House, 1903 12 West 200 North
| |

This one and on half story house is an good example of Victorian pattern book design in Spring City. It illustrates influences of the Queen Anne style with gable shingling and an ornate spindled porch. The family rented rooms while … Read More

Ephraim Larsen House, c. 1884 112 West 200 North
| |

This one story, stone house was built by Ephraim Larsen in 1884. The concrete block addition was built in 1950.

Emil Erickson House, 1888 119 West 200 North
| |

This one and one half story Victorian Eclectic cross-wing house, with fish scale shingles in the gables, was constructed of oolitic limestone in 1888. The rubble stone was coursed and pointed with raised mortar to approximate cut stone masonry. Emil … Read More

Peter Jensen House, c. 1870s 151 West 200 North
| |

This one and one half story cabin was moved to Spring City from Central, Utah. It was most likely built in Richfield either by Anders Johnson or Bengt Anderson of Norway and later moved to Central. It is one of … Read More

Reid H. Allred House, 1884 94 West 100 North
| |

The southeast portion of this home was a one-room frame cabin constructed in 1884. The remainder was built in 1931. William Scott, an early freighter, resided here, however, it may have been built by Robert Blain, another occupant. The house … Read More

John F. Bohlin House, 1884 138 North 100 West
| |

This stuccoed adobe house was built c. 1859 as a single room. John F. Bohlin (originally spelled Bohleen), a stonemason for many buildings in Spring City, and his wife, lived here, however it is not known if he built the … Read More

Baxter Store, c. 1895 190 North Main
| |

This stone and wood frame façade building is the best surviving example of 19th century commercial architecture in Spring City. John R Baxter, Sr. worked in the Spring City Co-op store in the 1870s. His first store was in his … Read More

Behunin-Beck House, 1883 19 East 100 South
| |

A large stone, two-story hall-parlor plan house and rear stone addition was “Erected by Buhunin, 1883” according to the plaque in the central gable. Isaac Behunin, an original Sanpete County settler, explored what became Ephraim in 1852 and moved to … Read More

Old City Hall, 1893 46 North Main Old Firehouse, c. 1900 44 North Main
| |

Old City Hall (left) This is one of the few surviving vernacular civic buildings remaining in Sanpete County. Built in 1893 of oolitic limestone it is a temple form building with Greek Revival influence complete with a bell tower. The … Read More

Crisp-Allred House, 1881-1884 59 North Main
| |

This large two-story hall-parlor stone house with Greek Revival influence was built by James Crisp, a farmer and stock raiser from England. Crisp came to Utah in 1866 and arrived in Spring City the following year. After working at various … Read More

Spring City Confectionery, c. 1915 33 North Main Lyceum Theater, c. 1915 35 North Main Sandstrom’s Pool and Dance Hall, c. 1911 37 North Main
| |

Spring City Confectionery (left) – This small brick one-part commercial block was built in 1915 and operated as a confectionery until 1973 by John R. Baxter, Jr. becoming a Spring City institution for several generations of Spring City children. Recently … Read More

William Ford House, c. 1880. 13 North Main
| |

William Ford, a blacksmith, owned this adobe-lined, wood frame house. The hall-parlor has a rear addition, form that is not uncommon to the area. Ford’s blacksmith shop was likely situated to the west of the house. The house was sold … Read More

Rasmus & Sarah A. Justesen House, c. 1875 12 North Main
| |

This one and one half story adobe house was originally stuccoed and scored to resemble cut stone, including simulated quoins. The house was built for Justesen’s first wife, Sarah A Shepherd, who raised nine children here. Justesen, mayor from 1898-99, … Read More

Rasmus Jensen House, c. 1900 116 South 100 West
| |

This one story stuccoed brick hall-parlor house has an original rear kitchen. It was likely built by Rasmus Jensen in 1900. The pedimented portico is a later addition. The house was restored in the late 1990s by Ron Hendrickson.

Andrew Olsen House, c. 1884 90 South 100 West
| |

This substantial one and one half story house was built for Andrew Olsen in the mid 1880s. Olsen, a Danish immigrant, came to Utah in 1854. He was a farmer and had two wives. The Olsens later moved to Canada. … Read More

John Frantzen House, c. 1880 73 South Main
| |

This one and one half story hall-parlor house was built by John Franzten. It is one of the few remaining adobe houses along Main Street. A Mormon convert, Frantzen immigrated from Norway in 1857, settling first in Lehi, then Spring … Read More

Robert Blain House, c. 1883 73 West Center
| |

Robert Blain built this one and one half story, hall-parlor house in 1883. The house has a rear addition and one third of the porch is enclosed. The exterior, shiplap siding was locally planed by Ole Peterson. Robert Blain, a … Read More

Paul & Charles Kofford house, c. 1860 11 East 100 South
| |

One of Spring City’s earliest stone houses it was built for Paul E. Kofford (aka Koffoed) by stonemason Peter Olsen Hansen. Kofford, a Dane, was as a translator between Scandinavian immigrants in Spring City and the English speaking pioneers. He … Read More

Niels H. Borresen House, c. 1864 197 South Main
| |

This house, one of the oldest stone houses in Spring City, was constructed of two-foot thick random rubble stone. Borresen, a miller and horticulturalist, was born in Denmark in 1826. He converted to the LDS church in Denmark and came … Read More

Orson & Mary Ann Hyde House, c. 1868 209 South Main
| |

This two story, stone hall-parlor house influenced by Greek Revival architecture was built for Orson Hyde probably in the late 1860s. An early convert to the LDS church, he was called as one of the church’s twelve apostles in 1835 … Read More

William & Margaret Osborne House, 1894 216 South Main
| |

The Osborne house is a fine example of Victorian pattern book architecture in Sanpete County. The one and one half story brick cross-wing house has shingled gables, intricately bracketed eaves, corbelled relieving arches, and polychrome brick. William Osborne was a … Read More

Arthur Johnson Meat Market, c. 1905 278 South Main
| |

Best remembered after 1916 as the Arthur Johnson Meat Market this small brick building was actually built in 1905 by Alvin E. Allred. Arthur Johnson was the son of Judge Jacob Johnson. The store is now home to Joe Bennion’s … Read More

Neils Adler House, c. 1875 296 South Main
| |

This one and one half story yellow brick house was one of the first fired brick houses in Spring City. It is a hall-parlor plan with a rear lean-to addition. Neils Adler, an early Utah immigrant, joined the LDS church … Read More

Lauritz Larsen House, c. 1860s 12 East 300 South
| |

  Lauritz Larsen constructed this adobe hall-parlor house in the 1860s. The house was later sheathed with stucco. It was passed on to his son L. O. Larsen and daughter-in-law Deseret Anderson. L. O. was a merchant, a manager of … Read More

Endowment House/ Schoolhouse, 1876 63 West 300 South
| |

This one-story, temple form, Greek Revival style design has a controversial past. Town residents are divided on the question about whether the building was an early endowment house, a sacred building where rites of the LDS church were performed or … Read More

Relief Society Granary, c. 1870-76 69 West 300 South
| |

This one and one half story, two room oolitic limestone structure was built by the “Female Relief Society of Springtown” on land belonging to the society’s president Mary Ann Hyde, trustee for the Relief Society. It was constructed in connection … Read More

James Anderson Allred House, 1874 297 South 100 West
| |

This two-story, Federal style frame house, was built in 1874 by James A. Allred, nephew of the town’s founder. It is a central-passage plan, unusual in Spring City, and it has a rear addition. The redwood lumber siding was freighted … Read More

Jacob Nielsen Log Cabin, c. 1870 289 South 200 West
| |

This 1870s log cabin was built by Jacob Nielsen of logs hewn on top and bottom and joined at the corners with a “V” notch. The adjacent stone granary was built c. 1875. In the 1990s the current owners added … Read More

Jens Peter Carlson House, c. 1896 350 South 100 West
| |

This one and one half story Victorian Eclectic cross-wing house is noteworthy for the craftsmanship of its ashlar stone masonry. Local tradition suggests the house was something of a showcase for Carlson’s considerable talents as a stone mason and that … Read More

Moroni Brough House, 1909 383 South 100 East
| |

This one and one half story yellow brick, pattern book house was built in 1909 by Moroni Brough. The cross-wing residence has extensive brick corbelling consisting of bricks manufactured in Manti. It is a good example of the combination of … Read More

Jacob Johnson House, c. 1875, 1896 390 South 100 West
| |

This is the largest house in Spring City and consists of two distinct styles. The south half of the building was the original stone structure, a classically inspired two-story, hall-parlor plan. Its exterior has been stuccoed and scored to imitate … Read More

Jacob Johnson Farmhouse, c. 1876 3.1 miles SE of town on Canal Canyon Road
| |

Jacob Johnson homesteaded 160 acres on this site and lived here five years before applying to acquire the property under the Homestead Act of 1881. He eventually acquired an additional 640 acres. Jacob Johnson, a lawyer, practiced in Spring City … Read More

Justesen-Olsen House, c. 1876 428 South 100 West
| |

A one-story hall-parlor house built with the assistance of mason Jens “Rock” Sorensen. It was sold in 1877 to Matilda Justesen Olsen. Olsen’s daughter, wife of Judge Jacob Johnson, inherited the house in 1893 and sold it to James Blain … Read More

Daniel Beckstrom House, c. 1879 450 South 100 West
| |

  Daniel Beckstrom acquired the property from Louis Justesen and built this adobe one-story hipped roof house. A wood frame, adobe-lined addition was constructed in about 1914. The Beckstrom family owned the house until 1976. There have been numerous alterations … Read More

Charles Crawforth Farmhouse, c. 1884 2 miles south of town on “Crawford” Lane
| |

  This stately two story, hall and parlor house with a rear stone wing, was built by Charles Crawforth. A former coachman in England, Crawforth had an interest in horticulture and came to Spring City in 1874. He became a … Read More

Thomas Schroder/Samuel Allred House, 1876 390 S. Main
| |

This one and one half story stone hall-parlor house was built by Thomas G. Schroder, a German convert to the LDS church. Samuel Allred added a wing to the rear of the house about 1900. Samuel Allred, bishop from 1913-1928 … Read More

Old Adobe Meeting House
| |

Early photograph of the old adobe meeting house.

James T. S. Allred House, c. 1864 96 East 400 South
| |

This is one of the oldest houses in Spring City. James T. S. Allred, a son of James Allred, constructed the original portion of the house from sawn logs. He was an original settler of Manti in 1849. He helped … Read More

Edward F. Allred House, c. 1890 450 South 100 East
| |

This one and one half story oolitic limestone house was built sometime after 1888 by Edward F. Allred , a grandson of James Allred. It was constructed on the site of James’ first cabin. Major alterations have occurred in recent … Read More

Chester School & Meetinghouse, c. 1892 490 East 400 South
| |

This stone building was constructed in the early 1890s and served as Chester’s meeting house and school. Chester is a small community 3 miles west of Spring City. In 1987 the school was to be demolished, but thanks to Paul … Read More

Carl Hansen House, c. 1890 280 East 300 South
| |

This one and one half story yellow brick cross-wing house was built about 1890 by Norwegian Carl Hansen. Hansen served as the Spring City Justice of the Peace for several years. The house was restored in the 1990s, and the … Read More

George Downard House, c. 1875 109 South 200 East
| |

This two-story oolitic limestone hall-parlor house was built in the late 1870s by George Downard and closely resembles the Orson Hyde House. Downard was born in Kent, England and joined the LDS church in the late 1850s. After immigrating to … Read More

James Rasmussen (Clawson) House, c. 1880 184 East 200 South
| |

This small adobe, double-cell house is interesting because it represents a particularly popular building technique in Sanpete County. The adobe surface was plastered with red stucco and then scored and highlighted with white paint to simulate red brick. This technique … Read More

John Blain House, c. 1880 385 East 100 South
| |

A one and one half story ashlar stone, hall-parlor house with a central gable indicative of the Gothic Revival style, this dwelling is one of the finest examples of pioneer architecture in Utah. The high level of craftsmanship and its … Read More

Redick Allred House, c. 1875 115 South 100 East
| |

Allred, an 1859 Spring Town settler and handcart company rescuer, built this Greek Revival-inspired one and one half story oolitic limestone house in the mid 1870s. Originally a hall-parlor plan the main entrance would have been on the west façade. … Read More

Old Spring City Cemetery 240 North 100 East
| |

This cemetery was the main burial ground until 1869 when the one in use today (1 mile west of town on Highway 117) was started. Newton Devine Allred, who died in 1857, is the earliest known burial. The earliest grave … Read More

Spring City LDS Chapel, 1902-1911 164 South Main
| |

This oolitic limestone chapel was designed by architect Richard C. Watkins of Provo and built between 1902-1911. John F. Bohlin supervised masons Jens J. Carlson, Jens. Sorensen and Lars Larsen. Emil Erickson and two men from Mt. Pleasant were the … Read More

Leave a Reply