This cemetery was the main burial ground until 1869 when the one in use today (1 mile west of town on Highway 117) was started. Newton Devine Allred, who died in 1857, is the earliest known burial. The earliest grave markers were of wood and were often broken by grazing sheep and the actual locations of many graves remain unknown. There are 63 known burials including Black Hawk War casualties and many children. The last burial in this cemetery was in 1910.