This one-story, temple form, Greek Revival style design has a controversial past. Town residents are divided on the question about whether the building was an early endowment house, a sacred building where rites of the LDS church were performed or a stone schoolhouse. The building was utilized as a school for twenty years, but whether it was used as an endowment house is open to question. This lot was originally deeded to the Female Relief Society. The building was also believed to be the office of Orson Hyde, one of the Twelve Apostles of the Mormon church and the Stake President of the Sanpete area who lived nearby. The building was constructed in 1876 and sold to the Spring City School District in 1878. It was commonly called the Allred School after John Frank Allred, teacher and remained a school until 1899. The two years prior to it becoming a school it may have been used for endowments. Official church records in Salt Lake City list several nontemple sites where endowments were carried out and “O. Hyde’s office” in Spring City is mentioned. Other stories persist including one involving Orson Hyde’s grandson Barney who insisted that a local stone mason Louis Justesen carved the stone inscription over the doorway including a compass, square, beehive, and building date. He claimed that because of these symbols people believed the building was used as an endowment house. The building was purchased and restored by artist Randall Lake in 1982 with funds he received from painting the official portrait of Wyoming’s Governor.