This stone and wood frame façade building is the best surviving example of 19th century commercial architecture in Spring City. John R Baxter, Sr. worked in the Spring City Co-op store in the 1870s. His first store was in his house that stood on this lot. Later the business became known as Baxter and Blain Mercantile. Upon Baxter’s death in 1930, the store was acquired by his son-in-law Claren Schofield and renamed the Schofield Mercantile. The Squirt signs painted on the north and south façades date from the 1940s.